7/2/13

Blog Spotlight!

As you may know- this fall I am planning on teaching preschool. So I have been scouring the web looking for fun preschool ideas,  as well as inspiration for activities to do with my book clubs.

I found a great site and an amazingly fun mom over at Mom-to-2-posh-lil-divas!

I love her post about the ABC's of Learning to Read through Play! Click here to jump to her site.
(She expounds on each letter/tip more on her site- but here is her break-down.)

A is for Alphabet.
B is for Books
C is for Comprehension.
D is for Developmental Readiness.

E is for Encouragement.
F is for Fluency. Fluency comes with time and practice

G is for Games.
H is for Hands-on.

I is for InterestsFinding the "right" book which captures your child's interest can turn them on to reading and help them on their way to being lifelong readers.

J is for Journal
K is for Keeping Your Cool.When things get frustrating, take a break.


L is for Letter Sounds 
M is for Modeling.

 

N is for No Limits.

O is for Opportunity.

P is for Phonetic Awareness.
Q is for Questions.

R is for Rhyming.

S is for Sight Words.
T is for Technology.

U is for Use Funny Voices.

V is for Visits to the Library.
W is for Word Play.

X is for Mix it Up! Don't always do the same thing when it comes to reading with your child.
Y is for YouTube.
Z is for ZEST! To be honest, this is my #1 tip. Be enthusiastic about reading and it sets a wonderful example for your children and/or students to do the same. 


I hope this list inspires you as much as it does me.
When I was a young mom (and very much a reluctant reader) I knew I had to change- for the benefit of my children.

I didn't want them to struggle with reading.

Luckily I had a great mentor- my sister. (She has always been a carnivorous reader!) We use to get together on a daily basis with our small babies. She would always read to her daughter who was just crawling age... while I tended to play toys.. cars, blocks, etc.. with my crawling son.

The above list- was just second nature to my sister. I had to make a more conscience effort. (Especially the ZEST part- some books were just so boring! Especially when little ones bring you the same book to read 10 times a day- for months on end! Go Dogs Go I have memorized. Honestly! And interesting fact: That son still loves dogs at age 16!)

So, if you are like me- where the love of reading isn't your passion, I encourage you to visit Mom-to-2-posh-lil-divas... Print off her list. Put it in a place you will see daily- and try to do one or two ideas with your kids daily. (Especially this summer!)

You'll be happy you did.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the list...will go and have a look at the site now. Good luck with your teaching preparations! You sound so passionate about your vocation ... what lucky students!

WELCOME TO OUR BOOK CLUB ROUND UP!
Interested in Winning Free Books?
If you would like to win a future books and stuff ...
Fill out the form below to enter to win!

(PS- you don't have to host a book club to enter- but if you DO host a book club for kids I am interested to know! So tell me a little bit about your group!)
Name:*
Email:*
Name of Book Club:*
Message:*
Verification No.:*
contact form faq

Powered by 123ContactForm.

Powered by 123ContactForm
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket