9/25/13

Spot-light: Pragmatic Mom

This past summer- I took advantage of "more free time" by browsing the blog-sphere. I  found  Mia over at www.pragmaticmom.com.

She has lots of ideas about teaching and learning. One post I LOVED was 7 ideas that are fun, easy and free to getting kids to read. (Click HERE to see her full post!)

She mentioned setting up a book club (we do that)
Watching book trailers (they are like movie trailers but made especially for books.) - You know I like that idea!
My favorite- NEW idea- was having/ hosting a BOOK TASTING event. Sounds interesting right? She found the idea on pinterest from Barrow Media Center. They suggest holding it in a library- I think that would be fun and might keep the teens more "on track" as far as the goal of the social...(The Goal: is to get them to try new genre's or authors) Mia explains- " Select  books to be sampled and provide a menu sheet and pens or pencils. Each kid reads each book for 2-3 minutes and marks the menu sheet of each book with happy face, prozac face, or frowny face." Kids then spend 3-5 minutes "sampling" each book and marking their "menu".


I have one very social 13 year old- who can't wait until he is 14 so he can attend more girl/boy get-together...  (Am I ready for this? NO! My 16 year old is more interested in sports that girls right now... so I was warming up to the idea of him starting to dating.... this new development with my 13 year old has taken me a bit by surprise... lol.)
I think this might be a great "event" to host at my house! I mean, these teens NEED wholesome, fun, supervised, structured events to go to. Not just "hang-out" at the local play-ground and scare the 3 year olds off the tire swing. (Does this only happen where we live? Homecoming dates & Prom dates going to the park before the dance? Random MOB group dates- storm the play ground?)

 Or worse-- hanging out and watching TV in dark media rooms that are always in basements and tucked out of the way. (Can you tell- I am really not ready for this stage? lol. Rest assured- by husband is great at navigating teenagers. I am more of a toddler/grade school type person.)

 Anyway- I sorta, got off topic.

Go check out Mia at Pragmatic mom. She's got lots of great ideas!

1 comment:

Blogger said...

BlueHost is ultimately the best website hosting provider for any hosting plans you might need.

WELCOME TO OUR BOOK CLUB ROUND UP!
Interested in Winning Free Books?
If you would like to win a future books and stuff ...
Fill out the form below to enter to win!

(PS- you don't have to host a book club to enter- but if you DO host a book club for kids I am interested to know! So tell me a little bit about your group!)
Name:*
Email:*
Name of Book Club:*
Message:*
Verification No.:*
contact form faq

Powered by 123ContactForm.

Powered by 123ContactForm